Job DescriptionApply Now
Business AnalystJob ID 1308-1
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private- sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Read more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance.
We are seeking a bright, energetic, and highly motivated person to join our team as a Business Analyst in ourWashington, DC,Woodlawn, MD or Ann Arbor, MI office. As a Business Analyst you will work closely with internal project teams, technical IT staff, and external clients to develop and document business solutions to complex policy and business questions. You will have the opportunity to develop business and functional requirements, as well as develop and perform quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) processes.
Our ideal candidate thrives working in collaborative team environments, is comfortable interacting with staff who have varying degrees of both policy and technical knowledge, has strong problem solving skills with a drive to understand how things work, and isn’t afraid to ask questions. An ideal candidate has a deep interest in using technology to solve problems and a passion for social research and public well-being.
- Serve as a liaison between project teams and technical IT staff.
- Work with project teams to develop written business requirements and functional requirements from verbal conversations.
- Review technical and policy documentation to fully understand client needs.
- Interface with client in meetings, email and other communication. Advise clients in delivery of their product, process or contract goals.
- Mentor more junior Business Analysts formally or informally.
- Lead tasks, or major deliverables in tasks on key Mathematica projects.
- Query and analyze data using SQL and/or HQL.
- Support the development of processes and systems.
- Support and in some cases own project management tasks (scheduling and coordination of activities).
- Assist in creating QA/QC plans and coordinating QA/QC activities.
- Master’s degree in computer sciences, social sciences, mathematics, statistics, or other related course work or Bachelor’s degree in relevant field with at least 4 years of experience documenting system requirements and data, designing test cases, and / or creating data models.
- Working knowledge of current health policy issues in areas such as Medicaid and CHIP, Medicare, health insurance exchanges, and health insurance plans. Experience with Medicaid or health insurance marketplace data a definite plus.
- Demonstrated understanding of data analysis, policy analysis, and system design techniques.
- At least 4 years of experience gathering, managing, and documenting business and functional requirements.
- Proven ability to translate verbal communications to written requirements.
- Proven ability to digest policy and business rules from non-technical people and translate that to business and functional requirements to technical people in IT.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills and an ability to engage teams and clients.
- Entry level skills in SQL and/or HQL.
- Ability to understand project plans and clearly articulate roles, project goals, and timelines.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with others.
- Flexibility to handle multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadline pressure.
- Web design and user experience (UX) is a plus.
We offer our employees a stimulating, team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of employee ownership. We provide generous paid time off (and an on-site fitness center). Visit our web site at www.mathematica-mpr.com
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, location preferences, and salary requirements at time of application.
Available Locations: Washington DC; Woodlawn, MD; Ann Arbor, MI
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.