Job DescriptionApply Now
Human Services Data Analytics Intern (Remote Eligible)Job ID 2093
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development.
At Mathematica, we take pride in our commitment to diversity. Building an inclusive culture that draws on the individual strengths of employees from different ethnic backgrounds, cultures, lifestyles, abilities, and experience is key to our success.
We are looking foran undergraduate-level Human Services Data Analytics intern to contribute to quantitative and qualitative research and analysis that examines effectiveness and implementation of policies and programs during a 10-week summer internship program. Interns will be paired with a mentor during their internship to gain insight into Mathematica’s human services policy work and how data supports it.
This position focuses on domestic policy areas (family support, education, child development, labor, economic mobility, nutrition, criminal justice, and related topics) and includes projects such as:
- Developing measures of equitable access to family supportive programs and using American Community Survey data to estimate program access rates.
- Working with USDA to incorporate human-centered design and cultural competency into Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program eligibility interviews.
Specifically, our data analytics interns may contribute to cross-disciplinary team-based projects by:
- Performing literature searches and reviews
- Abstracting and synthesizing information from program or regulatory documents and reports
- Writing code in Stata, R, or SAS to extract, transform, and clean data and construct variables for analysis
- Conducting exploratory data analyses and diagnostics
- Preparing tables, graphs, and other data visualizations to present results
- Assisting with data management and analysis of federal, state, and local information systems
- Compiling and tracking information in spreadsheets and databases (for example, Microsoft SharePoint and Excel) and report action-oriented findings to the project team
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program, with courses in subjects such as public policy, economics, statistics, data science, data analytics, mathematics, computer science, and/or social science.
- Understanding of basic research methods.
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative analysis software such as STATA, SPSS, SAS, R, and GIS.
- Interest in translating research into actionable, relevant information to support data-driven decision making.
- Ability and desire to work independently as part of an interdisciplinary team that may be geographically dispersed.
The hourly rates for the intern positions include:
- $23 per hour for Freshman, Sophomore, or between Sophomore and Junior years
- $24 for Junior year or later
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, location preference, and either a writing sample and/or a code sample (can be provided in a file attachment or GitHub repository link). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until February 23, 2024.
Note to agencies: We are not working with staffing agencies to fill this position, and we will not accept unsolicited resumes. Please do not reach out directly to technical staff or leaders within Mathematica, as all questions from agencies go through the Talent Acquisition team.
Available Locations: Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Remote
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At Mathematica, we understand the importance of building relationships with colleagues. If you’re not located near one of our offices but would like opportunities to meet up with co-workers, we offer coworking spaces where available. Ask your Talent Acquisition partner for more information about this opportunity and whether it’s an option in your area.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon passing a background check. Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance. Additionally, if you participate in/complete the application process and are denied, Mathematica may choose to terminate your employment.
Although Mathematica does not require vaccination from COVID-19 as a condition of employment, various projects or agencies may require documentation of vaccination (or an approved exception/accommodation).
We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. We encourage staff to collaborate in developing creative solutions to difficult problems and to share the responsibility and enjoyment of carrying out complex projects. This collegial spirit has helped us earn our reputation for innovative and high quality work.
One of Mathematica’s core values is a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our work is more robust because it is informed by a variety of diverse perspectives, and our mission to improve societal well-being is strengthened by a greater understanding of issues and challenges facing the populations we serve. Mathematica’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion is woven into our everyday actions, policies, and practices—including decisions regarding recruitment, training, compensation, and promotion. We are dedicated to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity.