Job DescriptionApply Now
Cloud EngineerJob ID 1089-1
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development.
Mathematica is looking for a Cloud Engineer with expertise in the strategy, design, development and implementation of large-scale Health technology projects in the cloud. We are looking for a senior-level candidate but are open to strong mid-level candidates as well. S/he will lead our rapidly growing work in building and deploying cloud applications within the Health Unit. We are open to staff working full-time remotely or in our offices in Woodlawn, MD; Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; and Ann Arbor, MI.
- Develop and implement technical efforts to design, build, and deploy AWS applications at the direction of lead architects, including large scale data processing, computationally intensive statistical modeling, and advanced analytics
- Participate in all aspects of the software development life cycle for AWS solutions, including planning, requirements, development, testing, and quality assurance
- Provide guidance, thought leadership and mentorship to development teams to build cloud competencies
- Provide innovative thought leadership around Mathematica’s cloud solutions strategy and approach, including AWS best practices and market trends
- 6+ years of experience architecting, designing, developing and implementing cloud solutions on AWS platforms
- Demonstrated experience with designing and implementing solutions using AWS platform and tools, such as: EC2, S3, Redshift, API Gateway, Lambda, DynamoDB, CloudFormation, RDS, VPC, IAM and security, QuickSight, CloudTrail, Config, CloudWatch, SNS, AMI generation
- Understanding of and experience with the five pillars of a well-architected framework
- Knowledge of SQL, R, and Python for data manipulation and statistical analysis is desirable
- Familiarity with federal security regulations and standards (e.g. HIPAA, FISMA, FIPS, NIST, and FedRAMP)
- Experience with security, especially knowledge of FedRAMP, HIPAA, PII/PHI, is desirable
- Experience in several of the following areas: database architecture, ETL, Business Intelligence, Big Data, Machine Learning, Advanced Analytics
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams of business analysts, developers, data scientists, and subject matter experts
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- AWS Certifications (such as AWS solutions architect or other specialty certifications) are a plus
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; degree in computer science, mathematics or related field preferred
- Experience with other cloud platforms like Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is a plus
Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee-owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, location preference, and salary requirements at time of application.
Visit our web site at www.mathematica.org.
Available Locations: Remote; Woodlawn, MD; Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; Ann Arbor, MI
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.