Job DescriptionApply Now
Business Analyst AssociateJob ID 1135-1
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private- sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength.
We are seeking a bright, energetic, and highly motivated person to join our team as a Business Analyst Associate in our Washington, DC, Woodlawn, MD or Ann Arbor, MI office. As a Business Analyst Associate you will work closely with internal project teams, technical IT staff, and external clients to develop and document business and functional requirements, as well as develop and perform quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) processes.
Our ideal candidate thrives working in collaborative team environments, is comfortable interacting with staff who have varying degrees of both policy and technical knowledge, has strong problem solving skills with a drive to understand how things work, and isn’t afraid to ask questions. An ideal candidate has a deep interest in using technology to solve problems and a passion for social research and public well-being.
- Serve as a liaison between project teams and technical IT staff
- Work with project teams to develop written business requirements and functional requirements from verbal conversations
- Query and analyze data using SQL and/or HQL
- Assist with development of processes and systems
- Assist with project management tasks (scheduling and coordination of activities)
- Assist in creating QA/QC plans and coordinating QA/QC activities
- Bachelor’s degree with college level course work in computer sciences, social sciences, mathematics, statistics, or other related course work
- Basic grasp of data analysis, policy analysis, and system design techniques
- 1-3 years of experience gathering, managing, and documenting business and functional requirements
- Ability to translate verbal communications to written requirement
- Ability to digest policy and business rules from non-technical people and translate that to business and functional requirements to technical people in IT
- Entry level skills in SQL and/or HQL
- Ability to understand project plans and clearly articulate roles, project goals, and timelines
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with others
- Flexibility to handle multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadline pressure
- Knowledge of dara warehousing is a plus
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, location preferences, and salary requirements at time of application.
Available Locations: Washington DC; Woodlawn, MD; Ann Arbor, MI
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.