Job DescriptionApply Now
Senior Health ResearcherJob ID 994-2
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength.
Mathematica is searching for senior health researchers who can lead current and emerging work across any number of areas related to evaluation, monitoring, and improvement of health care delivery and Medicaid, Medicare, state, and private health insurance programs. These areas include, for example, delivery system reform, value-based purchasing and alternative payment models, enrollment trends, measures of delivery and quality of services for beneficiaries, data analytics, and outcomes of innovative programs and policies. Candidates do not need to have experience in all of these areas but should have substantial experience in at least one of them.
The successful candidate will join our group of over 500 health policy professionals, including staff with degrees in public health, public policy, economics, data science, statistics, behavioral or social sciences, medicine, nursing, and other relevant disciplines. We offer our employees a stimulating team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of employee ownership.
Duties of the position:
- Lead or participate actively in multidisciplinary project teams, drawing on your past experience, analytic skills, technical knowledge, and policy expertise
- Help conduct research and technical assistance projects on topics related to federal, state, and private-sector health policy
- Apply rigorous analytic thinking to the collection and interpretation of quantitative and qualitative data
- Bring creative ideas to the development of proposals for new projects
- Author reports, memos, technical assistance tools, issue briefs, webinar presentations, and journal manuscripts
- Contribute to the growth, expertise, and knowledge of colleagues
- 10+ years of experience working in health policy or health research
- Masters or doctoral degree or equivalent experience in public health, public policy, data science, statistics, economics, behavioral or social sciences, economics, or other relevant discipline
- Strong foundation in quantitative and/or qualitative methods and a broad understanding of health policy issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to explain observations and findings to diverse stakeholder audiences including program administrators and policymakers
- Demonstrated ability to provide task leadership and coordinate the work of multidisciplinary teams
- Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail; flexibility to lead and manage multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadlines
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, and writing sample at the time of your application.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on a project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
Available Locations: Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Cambridge, MA; Ann Arbor, MI; Oakland, CA; Chicago, IL; Woodlawn, MD
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.