Job DescriptionApply Now
Public Affairs SpecialistJob ID 1042
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength.
We are looking for a Public Affairs Specialist in our Washington, DC office to support the Communications Department as a liaison for internal subject matter experts and external stakeholders, which include federal, state, and local government entities, intermediary policymaker organizations, program administrators, journalists, and opinion leaders. This position will assist with a variety of corporate communications and strategic outreach functions designed to extend Mathematica’s influence and position the company as an expert thought leader and objective resource for policymakers and other stakeholders.
- Translate and disseminate policy-relevant research and data for government entities through a variety of tactics and channels; work with subject matter experts to develop external messaging for such audiences.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues throughout the organization to support and execute stakeholder engagement campaigns and to promote awareness of Mathematica’s mission, work, and expertise.
- Contribute compelling content for the company’s external website, stakeholder emails, electronic newsletters, blog posts, podcasts, and social media platforms; coordinate with graphic designers and other relevant communications colleagues to seamlessly produce high-quality products that effectively engage broad audiences.
- Develop and execute strategic stakeholder engagement events, including policy discussions and briefings, webinars, thought leadership forums, and professional conferences
- Support planning and execution of outreach and engagement strategies for priority industry and professional conferences, including framing and amplification of Mathematica presentations, development and execution of attendee engagement approaches, drafting promotional materials and talking points, and booth staffing and display, as necessary.
- Participate in strategic communications planning and proactively suggest approaches to enhance engagement with policymakers at the state, local, and federal levels and other targeted stakeholders.
- Provide support for client-driven project deliverables, including some coordination of formatted Word documents, PowerPoint presentations, and dissemination plans and products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Political Science, Journalism, or related field
- Four years of professional-level experience in a government affairs, public relations, communications, or a research or policy-oriented organization
- Demonstrated effectiveness in distilling and disseminating policy-relevant research and in promoting the use of evidence in policymaking.
- Excellent writing skills a must; work should require minimal time and editing
- Ability to synthesize and convey, through a variety of platforms and media, complex data and information for diverse audiences
- Intermediate knowledge of federal or state policy issues in the areas of health, education, early childhood, employment, and international development
- Strong familiarity of legislative processes at the federal and state levels
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, a plus
- Exercise sound judgment and work independently to accomplish tasks
Please submit a cover letter, resume, contact information for three references and salary requirements. You will be asked to attach these materials during the online application process.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.