Job DescriptionApply Now
Human Services Program Data AnalystJob ID 1684-4
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Read more about our benefits here.
One of Mathematica’s core values is a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our research is more robust because it is informed by a variety of diverse perspectives, and our mission to improve societal well-being is strengthened by a greater understanding of issues and challenges facing the populations we serve. Mathematica’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion is woven into our everyday actions, policies, and practices. We are dedicated to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity. We offer Employee Resources Groups on a variety of topics, local diversity and inclusion activities in each office, and a Diversity council.
We are looking for Program Data Analysts to join our team in the Human Services unit. Program data analysts are part of our professional staff from the fields of public policy, economics, and other social sciences, learning and improvement partners, strategy advisers, product innovators, and data scientists. They work on projects across domestic policy areas, which include family support, education, child development, labor, economic mobility, nutrition, criminal justice, and related topics. Program data analysts contribute to quantitative or qualitative research and analysis that examines effectiveness and implementation of policies and programs, through a combination of partner building, strategic thinking, communications, policy knowledge, and technical skills.
- Engage with diverse clients and stakeholders to build trust and rapport, gather input, provide high-quality work, thoughtful recommendations, and responsive communication
- Work closely with internal and external clients to develop strategy around the use of data, communicating about appropriate analytic methods, and implementing those recommendations.
- Liaise with organizations to help them understand their data, use data storytelling to design effective visualizations that facilitate evidence use, or advise how to effectively incorporate analytics in research design, analysis, or dissemination tasks
- Translate research knowledge and experience into actionable, relevant information to support data-driven decision making
- Perform data management and data analysis of federal and state information systems
- Perform software quality assurance and testing, including the development of testing tools
- Provide technical assistance to stakeholders on performance measurement, performance analysis, data quality, and reporting and validation software and visualization tools.
- Perform document reviews and interview program staff and contractors
- Assist in the development of reporting and performance specifications and user manuals
- Assist in qualitative and quantitative analyses and evaluate program operations/systems
- Assist in the definition, specification, and documentation of data requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; Master’s degree is preferred
- Prior experience in strategic use of data, data storytelling, data visualization, business analysis, government program operations, and/or monitoring and testing IT systems strongly preferred
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative research methods as well as knowledge of data analytic methods and tools, data management, data assessment, data visualization, and data integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate with clients and stakeholders, engage with diverse partners, and facilitate joint problem solving
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including for non-technical audiences
- Ability to use data to inform decision making or make concrete recommendations
- Ability to identify and collect data, and perform quantitative and/or qualitative data analysis
- Prior experience working with/in federal, state, or local agencies with marginalized communities is preferred
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $60,000-$90,000. This position may be eligible for a discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on certain projects. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. Applicants should also submit one work sample on a policy-related topic that demonstrates research or analysis skills.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Available locations: Cambridge, MA; Chicago, IL; Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Oakland, CA; remote
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.