Job DescriptionApply Now
Director of Cloud Engineering (Remote Eligible)Job ID 2037-2
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Learn more about our benefits here.
The Mathematica Products Team is focused on building products to support research projects at Mathematica. This team is creating tools and platforms to collect, analyze and visualize data to support several use cases in research project lifecycle. You will help us drive our objective of delivering business value through delivery of these products.
As the Technology Director on the Mathematica Products Team, you’ll lead and manage multiple teams of product focused software engineers and cloud operations engineers. You will be responsible for the availability, reliability, performance, capacity and scalability of the applications and services in our team’s portfolio. You will mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers on your team.
While most of the Products team works in the Princeton office, we are open to candidates working in other Mathematica offices or fully remote.
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Lead efforts to deploy new and existing applications into cloud environments
- Own processes to continuously improve automation and tools that are scalable and reliable
- Own team's operational excellence, including the creation of and monitoring of metrics and alarms in a continuous process improvement environment
- Work with technical leadership and other stakeholders across the organization to align on enterprise standards and advance business goals
- Manage development and operations teams, onshore and offshore including development partner
- Manage vendor relationships including software tools and cloud service providers
- 12+ years’ software development and cloud operations experience and 7+ years using AWS and related technologies
- At least 8 years experience as a technical leader with responsibility for managing people
- Proven experience building user-driven software products/platforms in Agile teams
- Managed/led operations of cloud solutions at scale and used monitoring, logging tools
- Practical experience working with data analytics platforms and knowledge of data pipelines
- Demonstrated experience handling security/compliance standards and handling PII/PHI
- Supervised teams including internal and external contractors/offshore developers
- Experience with budgeting, cost reporting and forecasting
- Experience working with technology vendors to evaluate Cloud and DevOps tools & services
- Must have experience designing, deploying, and managing cloud infrastructures, including compute, storage, networking, and security, with a focus on AWS architecture
- Must have proficiency in using infrastructure as code (IaC) tools such as AWS CloudFormation or Terraform to automate AWS infrastructure deployment and management
- Able to design and implement networking solutions using AWS Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), Elastic Load Balancing (ELB), and Amazon Route 53.
- Experience in varied tech stack including Angular/node.js, R/Python, RDS/DynamoDB/MongoDB
- Knowledge of test automation suite such as Zephyr, Selenium and integration with JIRA
- Data platform experience with ETL/ELT tools such as Alteryx Trifacta and Talend
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $165,000- 200,000.
STAFFING AGENCIES AND THIRD PARTY RECRUITERS: Mathematica is not accepting candidates for this role or any technical role from staffing agencies or third party recruiters. Please do not contact technical or senior staff at Mathematica or share unsolicited resumes. All agency inquiries go through the talent acquisition team and will be routed accordingly.
Available Locations:Remote; Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC;
To select “Remote,” please choose “no preference.”
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon passing a background check. Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance. Additionally, if you participate in/complete the application process and are denied, Mathematica may choose to terminate your employment.
Although Mathematica does not require vaccination from COVID-19 as a condition of employment, various projects or agencies may require documentation of vaccination (or an approved exception/accommodation).
We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. We encourage staff to collaborate in developing creative solutions to difficult problems and to share the responsibility and enjoyment of carrying out complex projects. This collegial spirit has helped us earn our reputation for innovative and high quality work.
One of Mathematica’s core values is a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our work is more robust because it is informed by a variety of diverse perspectives, and our mission to improve societal well-being is strengthened by a greater understanding of issues and challenges facing the populations we serve. Mathematica’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion is woven into our everyday actions, policies, and practices—including decisions regarding recruitment, training, compensation, and promotion. We are dedicated to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity.