Job DescriptionApply Now
Sr. Data Analytics DeveloperJob ID 1553-3
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Learn more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance
At Mathematica, we take pride in our commitment to diversity. Building an inclusive culture that draws on the individual strengths of employees from different ethnic backgrounds, cultures, lifestyles, abilities, and experience is key to our success.
We are seeking an intellectually curious Sr. Data Analytics Developer in any of our locations who is passionate about using big data to answer research questions that influence decision making in U.S. health care policy. The ideal candidate will work in languages such as SAS, Stata, R, Python, and SQL. Individuals with an interest in confronting the challenges of working with large, complex data sets, an interest in data manipulation and analysis, and a desire to become a subject matter expert in health care data are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Leading the development of data pipelines and analysis systems involving large secondary data sources such as Medicare and Medicaid administrative claims data and survey data to effectively answer research questions about health care policy
- Informing requirements and specifications for performance measures based on cost and quality of care for evaluating the effectiveness of numerous health care policies
- Articulating findings and working with researchers to adjust specifications and code as interim results are found
- Evaluating the potential of creative ideas for service delivery and payment models to improve the health outcomes and well-being of patients, and to reduce spending for Medicare, Medicaid, and other payers
- Mentoring programmers, and may lead small programming teams
- Bachelor’s degree with a strong academic record in economics, mathematics, statistics, public health, public administration, public policy, sociology, political science, or a related field; Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of in-depth programming experience in a professional and/or academic environment
- Programming expertise using SAS, Stata, R, Python, SQL, or a similar language
- Conceptual and practical knowledge of administrative healthcare data (e.g. commercial claims, hospital claims, and Medicare or Medicaid data), healthcare informatics, or healthcare claims processing
- Ability to describe difficult technical problems and solutions to a non-technical audience
- Strong organizational and communication skills, and the ability to build consensus
- Experience conducting analytics using cloud computing platforms and services, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or Microsoft Azure is strongly preferred
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $90,000 to $130,000. This position may be eligible for a discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance.
We offer our employees a stimulating, team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of employee ownership. We provide generous paid time off (and an on-site fitness center). Visit our web site at www.mathematica.org.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and coding sample via our online employment website.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Available Locations: Washington, DC; Woodlawn, MD; Princeton, NJ; Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor, MI; Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA; Remote
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.