Job DescriptionApply Now
Senior Agriculture/Forestry (AFOLU) GHG Accounting ExpertJob ID 2062-2
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Learn more about our benefits here.
Mathematica is seeking candidates for the position of Senior Agriculture/Forestry (AFOLU) GHG Accounting Expert for a contract with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The Agriculture, Forestry, and Other Land Use (AFOLU) Carbon Calculator Tool will redesign and update the existing AFOLU tool in a way that is user-friendly, freely available, helps USAID Missions and operating units track and report on USAID climate indicators, and align with USAID’s Climate Strategy.
The ideal candidate will be a senior level professional with experience in greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting for land use, forestry, and/or agriculture and web tool development.
Major responsibilities include the following:
- Provide overall technical leadership for the project, in coordination with the Chief of Party and the Product Manager/IT lead.
- Provide ownership and quality control of the development of tool’s GHG calculation methodologies, across its modules on agriculture, land use and forestry.
- Develop the requirements for the web application tool, in coordination with technical team and subject matter experts (SMEs) and communicate them to Software Development Team;
- Manage and integrate the inputs of other technical team members during the production process.
- Communicate the key technical design features of the tool with partners and key stakeholders, including USAID, during the development phase, at launch, and subsequently (as needed).
- Lead the development of calculation methodologies to estimate carbon emissions, as well CH4 and N2O where appropriate, in conformity with IPCC approaches and other global best practices.
- Ensure that the tool has the required forward-looking ability to estimate impact uncertainty, based on user choices.
- Advanced degree (PhD preferred) in a relevant field of study (environmental science, soil science, forestry or agricultural economics, GHG accounting, or similar)
- Over 10 years of demonstrated experience working with GHG accounting in the forestry sector, land use sector, and/or agricultural sector.
- Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner to non-technical experts.
- 8 years of experience analyzing and manipulating geo-spatial data relevant to the AFOLU sector, with a strong understanding of the currently available datasets most relevant to this task.
- Experience coordinating with IT colleagues to ensure that they understand and appropriately integrate technical methodologies and geospatial data into online tools, platforms, apps, etc.
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $135,000 - $175,000. This position may be eligible for an annual bonus, based on company and individual performance.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter indicating a preferred start date at time of application.
STAFFING AGENCIES AND THIRD PARTY RECRUITERS: Mathematica is not accepting candidates for this role or any technical role from staffing agencies or third party recruiters. Please do not contact technical or senior staff at Mathematica or share unsolicited resumes. All agency inquiries go through the talent acquisition team and will be routed accordingly.
Available Locations: Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; Remote
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon passing a background check. Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance. Additionally, if you participate in/complete the application process and are denied, Mathematica may choose to terminate your employment.
Although Mathematica does not require vaccination from COVID-19 as a condition of employment, various projects or agencies may require documentation of vaccination (or an approved exception/accommodation).
We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. We encourage staff to collaborate in developing creative solutions to difficult problems and to share the responsibility and enjoyment of carrying out complex projects. This collegial spirit has helped us earn our reputation for innovative and high quality work.
One of Mathematica’s core values is a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our work is more robust because it is informed by a variety of diverse perspectives, and our mission to improve societal well-being is strengthened by a greater understanding of issues and challenges facing the populations we serve. Mathematica’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion is woven into our everyday actions, policies, and practices—including decisions regarding recruitment, training, compensation, and promotion. We are dedicated to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity.