Job DescriptionApply Now
Project Financial AssociateJob ID 1861-1
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Read more about our benefits here:https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance.
We are searching for a Project Financial Associate to assist in planning, budgeting, and reporting all phases of projects, manage and monitor day-to-day financial operations of a project, and support other staff responsible for preparing cost proposals and budgets.
- With supervision, develops financial reports using actual cost information, forecasted spend per project schedules, and estimated final costs against approved contract funding
- Participates in the communications regarding project controls and project finances throughout all phases of a project including, assisting in the development of project baseline budgets, maintaining project schedules, analyzing project risks, and providinganalytical support to senior project leadership
- With supervision, revises project budgets and schedules for each task of a project, involving use of Excel and/or MS Project, and provides insight to risks and opportunities
- Monitors project progress by comparing actual versus baseline resource usage, analyzes project variances, and forecasts anticipated expenditures
- With supervision, prepares project financial reports for monthly internal project review process, providing an analysis of the project’s financial condition
- Assists project leadership in preparing client progress reports when necessary
- Tracks spending and reports expenditures from project funds with limit
- Provide input to assist in the development of standard procedures and automated tools to support budgeting and project management
- May coordinate with personnel outside of MPR, such as suppliers, consultants, prime contractors, subcontractors, and contract officers regarding project related activities
- May revise monthly estimates of staffing requirements
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent relevant experience. One to three years of experience in project controls and preparing cost reports, preferably in a federal contracting environment
- Experience with MS Office suite, especially Excel and Project
- Familiarity with cost reporting tools. Deltek CostPoint, Budget & Planning, and COBRA preferred
- General understanding of accounting and project controls concepts
- General understanding of project management processes and the PMBOK
- Accuracy with work, strong organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to deal tactfully and diplomatically with others
- Flexibility to handle multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadline pressure
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Willingness to work overtime as needed
- Willingness to travel to other locations as necessary
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations. This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $50,000 - $60,000. This position may be eligible for an annual bonus, based on company and individual performance.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite clearance. Available locations: Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL; Cambridge, MA; Oakland, CA; Ann Arbor, MI; REMOTE
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.