Job DescriptionApply Now
Lead DevOps/ Cloud Engineer (Remote Eligible)Job ID 1984-2
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Learn more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance
As a Lead DevOps/Cloud Engineer, you will create and manage an automated DevOps release management pipeline for an expanding product platform. You will lead the establishment of the right tooling and processes that result in a fully automated release management pipeline. The pipeline will include: the automated build process, environment setups, testing scripts, deployments, and production operational metrics/debugging information.
The ideal candidate is an experienced DevOps professional who enjoys working on building and deployment infrastructure, employs Infrastructure as Code (IaC), has a command of scripting languages, and possesses strong communication and presentation skills. You will have an opportunity to contribute to the advancement of existing systems as well as the ability to contribute to new portfolio offerings all with focus, growth, and adoption of DevOps best practices.
- Lead all maintenance, update, and deployment schedules, change communication and roll-out success
- Drive operational excellence through better documentation, refined processes, and better measuring of results
- Drive continuous monitoring and alerting around infrastructure, server, and application availability & performance
- Lead our DevOps practices to deliver high quality software more quickly using Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CICD) pipelines from code commit to production deployment
- Build and share visible metrics around: hosted health, cost, performance, quality, and uptime
- Collaborate with vendors, ITS, Security and Compliance teams to advance product development team’s roadmap
- Design infrastructure that is secure and cost optimized
- Lead a growing Cloud Operations team consisting of AWS Cloud Engineers, DevOps Engineers, and DB experts
- 8+ years’ Cloud Ops experience with 5 years using AWS and related technologies
- Practical experience handling large data volumes using RDS, Snowflake, RedShift
- Demonstrated experience handling security/compliance standards and handling PII/PHI and has implemented security controls
- Managed/led operations of cloud solutions at scale and used monitoring, logging tools
- Experience with budgeting, cost reporting and forecasting
- Experience working with technology vendors to evaluate Cloud and DevOps tools & services
- Supervised teams including internal and external contractors/offshore developers
- Experience designing, deploying, and managing cloud infrastructures, including compute, storage, networking, and security, with a focus on AWS architecture.
- Proficient in using infrastructure as code (IaC) tools such as AWS CloudFormation or Terraform to automate AWS infrastructure deployment and management.
- Experience in DevOps best practices with the ability to leverage tools like Docker, Kubernetes, or other continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) tools such as GitHub actions to automate software delivery and deployment.
- Ability to design and implement networking solutions using AWS Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), Elastic Load Balancing (ELB), and Amazon Route 53.
- Data platform experience with ETL/ELT tools such as Alteryx Trifacta and Talend
- Proficient in leveraging cloud-native services, such as AWS Lambda, Amazon S3, Amazon RDS, and Amazon SQS, to design and deploy modern cloud architectures.
- Strong scripting and programming skills in languages such as Python, Java, or PowerShell, and be able to develop and maintain scripts and code to automate cloud operations.
- Familiar with AWS monitoring and logging tools and be able to use these tools to monitor AWS resources and troubleshoot issues.
- Knowledge of AWS security principles, their implementation, and the best practices to protect AWS resources from cyber threats.
- Familiar with containerization technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes with the ability to design and deploy scalable and resilient cloud architectures in AWS.
- Experience including QA testing frameworks such as Selenium or Appium in the CI/CD pipeline, using tools like GitHub Actions, to enable automated testing of cloud-based applications and infrastructure.
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $120,000 - $170,000. This position is eligible for a discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance.
STAFFING AGENCIES AND THIRD-PARTY RECRUITERS: Mathematica is not accepting candidates for this role or any technical role from staffing agencies or third party recruiters. Please do not contact technical or senior staff at Mathematica or share unsolicited resumes. All agency inquiries go through the talent acquisition team and will be routed accordingly.
Available Locations: Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; Remote
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon passing a background check. Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance. Additionally, if you participate in/complete the application process and are denied, Mathematica may choose to terminate your employment.
Although Mathematica does not require vaccination from COVID-19 as a condition of employment, various projects or agencies may require documentation of vaccination (or an approved exception/accommodation).
We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. We encourage staff to collaborate in developing creative solutions to difficult problems and to share the responsibility and enjoyment of carrying out complex projects. This collegial spirit has helped us earn our reputation for innovative and high quality work.
One of Mathematica’s core values is a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our work is more robust because it is informed by a variety of diverse perspectives, and our mission to improve societal well-being is strengthened by a greater understanding of issues and challenges facing the populations we serve. Mathematica’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion is woven into our everyday actions, policies, and practices—including decisions regarding recruitment, training, compensation, and promotion. We are dedicated to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity.