Job DescriptionApply Now
Independent Contractor/Consultant opportunity: Business Development, Providers and Payors (Remote)Job ID 2033-2
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development.
The Independent Consultant, Providers and Payors Business Portfolio is an independent contractor opportunity focused on expanding Mathematica’s portfolio in groups that deliver healthcare services (e.g., providers and health systems) and entities that bear risk within healthcare, including, employers and employer coalitions, health plans and payors, and voluntary employee benefit associations (VEBAs). Mathematica offers its clients research, advisory, data analytic, and digital services solutions. As an independent contractor, you will be expected to engage in both direct and RFP-based business development opportunities, including the development of strategic partnerships that lead to new business.
To be considered for this role, you must be willing to work as a self-employed independent contractor. For this role, Mathematica is not accepting applications from those who wish to work as a regular-status employees. If you are interested in opportunities to work as an employee of Mathematica, visit our Careers website at https://careers.mathematica.org/.
- Build and lead the sales execution plan for Mathematica’s ongoing business development activities with providers and payors, including the identification, curation, qualification, and successful close of new account opportunities for professional services engagements
- Conduct direct outreach and other presales tactics to grow Mathematica’s footprint at existing client accounts and acquire new accounts within the providers and payors market
- Build and lead the strategic framework for Mathematica’s ongoing business development activities with providers and payors
- In collaboration with subject matter experts, bring to market Mathematica’s offerings for clients within the providers and payors area
- Document requirements and oversee the development of sales prototypes and other interactive demonstrations for providers and payors
- Work collaboratively with communication and marketing staff to develop collateral that concisely articulates the value proposition for Mathematica’s offerings
- Collaborate with Mathematica’s sales operations team to develop budget specifications and review budget materials for proposals and other client engagements within the providers and payors portfolio
- Participate in brainstorming and writing activities for technical proposal language used in response to RFPs as well as statements of work (SOWs)
- Deliver pitch sessions and lead other client engagements to win work at selected accounts
- Participate in technical project delivery as an account manager ensuring projects are delivered on time and within budget while meeting the rigorous standards set forth by Mathematica
- Successfully collaborate with others at Mathematica, demonstrating deep empathy and commitment to Mathematica’s mission and colleagues
- Must have your own business and be willing to as an independent contractor (not a regular-status employee)
- 5-8 years demonstrated experience with customer acquisition and retention working directly with economic buyers, leading responses to RFPs including capture planning activities, and navigating the connection of sales and delivery teams pre- and post-sales or
- 5-8 years of experience applying technology to provide solutions for decision makers regarding complex business challenges; 5-8 years of experience leading go-to-market activities for digital product and platform solutions that leverage data science and analytics or
- 5-8 years of experience working with cross-functional technology and advisory services teams in a consulting context
- Preferably a Graduate degree
- Expert knowledge and ability to translate that knowledge into strategy and tactics in areas like population risk management, value-based care and risk sharing, pricing and actuarial analysis, and digital therapeutics
- Working knowledge of digital processes, technologies, and tools such as Agile, Jira, Confluence, and BI tools
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite products
- Experience building and leading teams
- Enthusiastic, highly team-oriented, able to work in a matrixed environment on a fast-moving, growing team
- Strongly preferred: experience working in a delivery setting to design, develop, implement, configure, or integrate analytics for providers and health systems or risk bearing entities in healthcare
This independent contractor position offers an anticipated hourly rate range between $70-75 per hour
STAFFING AGENCIES AND THIRD PARTY RECRUITERS: Mathematica is not accepting candidates for this role or any technical role from staffing agencies or third party recruiters. Please do not contact technical or senior staff at Mathematica or share unsolicited resumes. All agency inquiries go through the talent acquisition team and will be routed accordingly.
Available Locations: Remote; Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ
To choose "remote" as your location, select "no preference."
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance. Additionally, if you participate in/complete the application process and are denied, Mathematica may choose to terminate your employment.
Although Mathematica does not require vaccination from COVID-19 as a condition of employment, various projects or agencies may require documentation of vaccination (or an approved exception/accommodation).
We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. We encourage staff to collaborate in developing creative solutions to difficult problems and to share the responsibility and enjoyment of carrying out complex projects. This collegial spirit has helped us earn our reputation for innovative and high quality work.
One of Mathematica’s core values is a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our work is more robust because it is informed by a variety of diverse perspectives, and our mission to improve societal well-being is strengthened by a greater understanding of issues and challenges facing the populations we serve. Mathematica’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion is woven into our everyday actions, policies, and practices—including decisions regarding recruitment, training, compensation, and promotion. We are dedicated to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity.