Job DescriptionApply Now
EditorJob ID 1119
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength.
Currently, we are seeking an individual with at least four years of editorial experience to join our busy Editorial Services team as an Editor in our Princeton, New Jersey, headquarters. The Editor will work closely with our Editorial Services staff to coordinate the editing of a wide variety of publications for our clients.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Edit reports, proposals, web copy, and other materials for clarity, grammar, spelling, usage, punctuation, syntax, consistency, and adherence to company style.
- Maintain the editorial schedule and monitor the flow of materials between authors, editors, and production staff. Help ensure that documents meet corporate quality standards and client specifications, and are produced on time and within budget.
- Act as a focal point for management of document editing.
- Help supervisor ensure consistency of editorial procedures.
- Help maintain and update company style guide.
- Keep abreast of new technology and identify and implement ways to improve the editorial process.
Qualifications for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field.
- Minimum of four years of general editorial or publishing experience, including two years of editing, proofreading, and copyediting experience in a corporate setting, or related publishing experience.
- The equivalent of the above in education and work experience combined.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong editorial skills, including knowledge of grammar, spelling, usage, punctuation, and syntax.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong attention to detail.
- Ability to oversee development of documents from the manuscript stage to the final product, including copyediting, proofreading, preparation of graphics, formatting, and final inspection before delivery.
- Ability to deal with others tactfully and diplomatically; strong problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office (particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with editorial style manuals (such as The Chicago Manual of Style or the APA Publication Manual) helpful.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced corporate environment, often handling competing priorities under deadline pressure.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Familiarity with public policy a plus.
We offer our employees a stimulating, team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of employee ownership. We provide generous paid time off and an on-site fitness center. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, salary expectations, and contact information for 3 references via our online employment website. Please click the “Apply Now” icon after the position description to attach your documents.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite clearance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.