Job DescriptionApply Now
Sr. Managing Consultant - California State Health Medicaid (Remote Eligible)Job ID 2034-1
Mathematica is searching for a dedicated professional located in California to contribute to our growing work with the state. We are looking for an individual with experience in California behavioral health policy and systems to support current and emerging work.
Duties of the position:
- Lead or participate actively and thoughtfully in multidisciplinary teams to implement, monitor, and advise on state policy and programs.
- Provide the energy, direction, and organization needed to help keep projects on time and on budget and facilitate communications across and between internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead and help develop proposals for new projects.
- Interact directly with state officials to implement and assess programs.
Masters or doctoral degree, or equivalent experience in public health, public policy, behavioral or social sciences, or other relevant disciplines
- 10+ years of experience working with the California behavioral health policy and systems
- 10+ years of experience managing complex projects or tasks related to healthcare or health policy with the State of California
- Experience working with California Health and Human Services departments
- Expertise in organizational change/management (how to coach organizations in adopting new change practices)
- Ability to develop strategy for engaging state departments in evaluation, continuous quality improvement, and creating buy-in for collective accountability
- Demonstrated ability to provide task leadership and coordinate the work of multidisciplinary team
- Experience working at or with a local, state or federal agency, a foundation, a healthcare provider, a Medicaid managed care plan or another policy research firm is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to lead activities, manage tasks through the project lifecycle, and coordinate the work of multidisciplinary teams to deliver high-quality work to our clients on time and budget
- Strong analytic skills and ability to think critically about issues relating to management, such as financial analysis, as well as policy implementation and program operations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to explain observations and findings to diverse stakeholder audiences including program administrators and policymakers
- Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail as well as the flexibility to manage multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadlines
- Strong mentorship skills to mentor several junior staff members
Please submit a cover letter, CV and any work product that demonstrates your analytic abilities as well as your understanding of complex policy-related challenges facing the healthcare system.
The Senior Managing Consultant position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $120,000 - $155,000.
This position may be eligible for an annual discretionary bonus based on individual and company performance.
Available locations: Oakland, CA; Remote
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of analytics, technology, policy and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Learn more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon passing a background check. Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance. Additionally, if you participate in/complete the application process and are denied, Mathematica may choose to terminate your employment.
Although Mathematica does not require vaccination from COVID-19 as a condition of employment, various projects or agencies may require documentation of vaccination (or an approved exception/accommodation).
We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. We encourage staff to collaborate in developing creative solutions to difficult problems and to share the responsibility and enjoyment of carrying out complex projects. This collegial spirit has helped us earn our reputation for innovative and high quality work.
One of Mathematica’s core values is a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our work is more robust because it is informed by a variety of diverse perspectives, and our mission to improve societal well-being is strengthened by a greater understanding of issues and challenges facing the populations we serve. Mathematica’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion is woven into our everyday actions, policies, and practices—including decisions regarding recruitment, training, compensation, and promotion. We are dedicated to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity.