Job DescriptionApply Now
Health Advisory Principal Researcher/ Senior Fellow, Medicare (Remote Eligible)Job ID 1855-7
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Read more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance.
About the Senior Fellow role:
Mathematica is seeking a Senior Fellowto serve as Mathematica’s business development and delivery lead for prescription drug policy in its Health advisory services practice. The Senior Fellow will assist senior management in developing a business focused primarily on Medicare Part D, but be capable of effectively addressing Medicaid, commercial, and cross-payer drug policy issues. The Senior Fellow is responsible for crafting market strategy, developing business, and leading client engagements with the government, health plans, foundations, and providers to improve (1) drug coverage, delivery, and affordability, (2) the competitiveness and transparency of drug pricing, and (3) the performance of the Medicare Part D program and individual Part D and MA-PD plans.
The Health Advisory Senior Fellow, Medicare Part D
- Assists substantially in developing a business and capture strategy around which clients to pursue, which elements of prescription drug policy best leverage Mathematica expertise, and where to build additional capabilities and acquire additional data
- Cultivates relationships with new clients and expands relationships with existing clients in the prescription drug policy and Medicare Part D areas
- Demonstrates significant proposal writing and thought leadership experience in pharmacy benefit topics, in Medicare, Medicaid or private insurance clients
- Represents Mathematica to clients as project director or subject matter expert; able to engage clients to work through challenges and offer research, technical, or program expertise to help solve problems
- Demonstrates thought leadership in one or more subject matter areas through white papers, PowerPoint presentations, journal articles, blog posts, and other communications
- Reviews technical proposals written by other staff that have or may have a bearing on prescription drug policy or program support
- Represents Mathematica externally at conferences, on technical expert panels, and/or as an expert witness
- Serves as mentor and senior advisor at Mathematica for staff and projects in prescription drug policy and Medicare Part D; develops ways to engage and develop staff and share knowledge
Education and Experience
- Nationally recognized as an expert in Medicare Advantage research or operations with four years of demonstrated effectiveness functioning as senior researcher or subject matter expert on substantial project work or operations; plus:
- PhD, MA, or MS in economics, statistics, another social science, or another relevant field and 10 years of relevant experience in a policy research environment, or
- BA or BS in economics, statistics, another social science, or another relevant field and 15 years of relevant experience in a policy research environment
- Ability to discern policy, infrastructure, and data needs for the Medicare Advantage program
- Ability to develop research and policy questions and establish policy and technical frameworks for addressing them
- Ability to develop and implement solutions to critical issues facing the government, plans, providers, and patients in the administration of the Medicare Advantage program
- Experience working with technical and contracting personnel from the government, foundations, and/or other health care stakeholders
- Ability to work tactfully and diplomatically with others
- Strong managerial skills of both projects and staff
- Experience with quality assurance procedures
- Accuracy with work, strong organization skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with public speaking
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations to internal and external audiences
- Flexibility to handle multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadline pressure
This Senior Fellow (P6) designation offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $175,000 - $225,000 and is eligible for an annual discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance.
Available locations: Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; Cambridge, MA; Woodlawn, MD; Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor, MI; Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA; Remote
One of Mathematica’s core values is a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our research is more robust because it is informed by a variety of diverse perspectives, and our mission to improve societal well-being is strengthened by a greater understanding of issues and challenges facing the populations we serve. Mathematica’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion is woven into our everyday actions, policies, and practices. We are dedicated to maintaining a work environment in which everyone is treated with respect and dignity. We offer Employee Resources Groups on a variety of topics, local diversity and inclusion activities in each office, and a Diversity council.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.