Job DescriptionApply Now
Cloud Data Engineer (Remote Eligible)Job ID 1828-4
- As part of the AI Health Outcomes Challenge held by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, members of this team developed a cloud data pipeline and machine learning architecture to make predictions with a large multiyear sample of Medicare beneficiaries with detailed claims data about millions of people. Mathematica’s team reached the second round of the competition, with only six other teams, out of over 300 original entrants.
- As part of a state’s efforts to support citizens with disabilities, Mathematica brought together a variety of data sources, developed specific monitoring measures, and designed a dashboard. The dashboard is designed to show measure results and trends to clearly identify areas of success and opportunities for improvement, and to help the state with decision making.
- Developed and deployed of a wide variety of award-winning public facing websites on healthcare topics, using a variety of web technologies. From the community connector application to our wastewater monitoring app to 19 and me and DQ Atlas.
- Developed applications and extract, transform, and load (ETL) processes to support a variety of health policy implementation and monitoring programs. One such program was the Capacity Building for Public Health Analysts in the Overdose Response Strategy, where the team designed, developed, and secured a cloud-based, web application to streamline data collection, management, and reporting for the public health-public safety collaboration to reduce drug overdoses.
At least 1-3 years of relevant experience demonstrating:
- Hands on experience with core Amazon Web Services (AWS) services including RDS, Lambda, and S3
- In-depth programming in Python in a professional and/or academic environment, and using python package management tools like pipenv, conda, or virtualenv.
- Experience with SQL queries and SQL data definition language (DDL)
- System development lifecycle (SDLC) and common software development tools such as Git and Jira
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to convey key choices, recommendations, and technology concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Conceptual and practical knowledge of healthcare data (e.g. clinical data, commercial claims, hospital claims, Medicare, Federal Medicaid (T-MSIS, TAF), State Medicaid, HL7-FHIR), healthcare informatics, or healthcare claims processing
- Previous experience working or collaborating on Data Analytics or Data Science projects or initiatives
- Microsoft Azure, particularly Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Factory and/or Azure Data Pipeline.
- The Spark ecosystem, and related tools like Databricks
- Infrastructure as Code (IaC) technologies such as AWS CloudFormation or Terraform
- The Google Cloud Platform
- Additional AWS Services, such as Code pipeline, Code build, API Gateway, and SageMaker
- The Serverless Framework
- Commercial data warehouse / ETL tools such as Snowflake, Talend, Informatica, Apache Airflow, etc.
- Docker, and docker orchestration like Docker Compose or Kubernetes
- A diagramming tool, like Draw.io, Visio, or Lucidchart
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $75,000 to $110,000. This position may be eligible for a discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, coding sample, location preferences, and salary requirements via our online employment website.
We are not working with staffing agencies to fill this position, and we will not accept unsolicited resumes. Please do not reach out directly to technical staff or leaders within Mathematica, as all questions from agencies go through the Talent Acquisition team.
Available Locations: Washington, DC; Woodlawn, MD; Princeton, NJ; Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor, MI; Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA; Remote
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.