Job DescriptionApply Now
Advisory Services/Project Management Analyst (Medicaid)Job ID 1702-1
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Read more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance
About the opportunity:
We currently have openings for Advisory Services/Project Management Analysts with a strong interest in project management in our Medicaid project area. This role blends management, research, and technical assistance. As such, we are seeking prospective employees with a passion for project management and an interest in improving government operations and health care delivery. In particular, we are looking for individuals who can support current and emerging work across any number of areas related to monitoring and improving Medicaid programs such as: Medicaid managed care programs, value-based purchasing and alternative payment models, long-term services and supports, measures of delivery and quality of services for beneficiaries, data analytics, and outcomes of innovative programs and policies. Advisory services analysts work on a variety of projects spanning policy and programmatic areas and are likely to be connected to 2-3 projects at a time. These projects range from data analytics to program evaluation to implementation support. Candidates do not need to have experience in all of these areas but should have experience in at least one of them.
Across all projects, Advisory Services/Project Management Analysts are expected to:
• Provide the direction and organization needed to help keep Medicaid projects on time and on budget and facilitate communications across and between internal and external stakeholders.
• Conduct project management activities, such as helping project directors plan, manage, and close out complex projects and designing, implementing, and monitoring tools and processes to help organize data and manage teams.
• Perform complex analyses of projects to monitor and evaluate project performance and progress, including monitoring project costs, assessing earned value, and overseeing subcontractors.
• Develop and maintain project collaboration tools, including Microsoft Project schedules, SharePoint websites, Jira trackers, and Excel spreadsheets.
• Provide technical assistance to state and federal health agencies or healthcare providers by designing webinars or responding to questions from stakeholders.
• Draft client memos, technical documentation, proposals and other contractual deliverables, such as chapters for reports, case studies, and/or data dictionaries.
• Master’s degree in public policy, public administration, business, or related field; or commensurate experience in operations or management-oriented positions
• Strong management skills, including ability to monitor costs on multimillion-dollar contracts, mentor staff, and oversee small teams to complete work within tight timelines without compromising on quality.
• Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail; flexibility to manage multiple priorities, sometimes simultaneously, under deadlines.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, for example the ability to write clear and concise technical documentation, and to communicate with clients diplomatically.
• Strong analytic and problem-solving skills, and ability to apply critical and creative thinking to identify solutions and respond to client requests in situations where guidance is unclear or absent.
• Professional experience in a similar field or position
• Interest in improving and researching Medicaid and other government programs, and/or providing technical assistance to health care entities.
• Some travel may be required
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Work experience with a state or federal agency, a foundation, or health care. program is highly desirable, as is prior experience working with Medicaid data.
• Knowledge of quantitative and/or qualitative research methods.
• Experience with management tools, such as Microsoft Project and Jira.
• Certifications demonstrating management proficiency and expertise, such as Project Management Professional (PMP) or Lean Six Sigma
• Experience engaging a range of client stakeholders by applying a variety of approaches (such as human-centered design).
• Experience bridging between business owners and technical staff
• Basic knowledge of software development lifecycles, and agile development.
Please submit a cover letter and your resume along with a work product that demonstrates analytic skills and reflects independent analysis and writing, such as a capstone project, analytic report, or a management plan (nothing company confidential, please).
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
This position is open in the following cities and states; however, we are all currently working from home and provide the support and flexibility needed to work from home. We ask the candidates to identify their preferred location for when we return to working in-person.
Available Locations: Chicago, IL; Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; Cambridge, MA; Oakland, CA; Remote
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $70,000-$90,000. This position may be eligible for a discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.