Job DescriptionApply Now
(Senior) UX / UI / Data Visualization Designer (Remote eligible)Job ID 1669-5
Mathematica is seeking to hire a new member of its Web Application team to design applications that allow users to explore, examine, and interact with data related to public well-being. The core competency required for the role is the ability to translate public policy research findings into coherent and engaging designs for web applications, including data visualizations, working in collaboration with both policy experts and developers.
This role may be filled by someone who, in addition to designing, could contribute to frontend and data visualization development work using D3.js and a modern frontend stack, but this is not a requirement. We are open to hiring someone at the mid- or senior-level for this role.
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. Learn more about our benefits here.
At Mathematica, we take pride in our commitment to diversity. Building an inclusive culture that draws on the individual strengths of employees from different ethnic backgrounds, cultures, lifestyles, abilities, and experience is key to our success.
What you will do in this role:
- Work with teams of researchers, data analysts, and other designers, UX researchers, and developers from the Web Application team to create professional-quality data applications for various Mathematica projects. Your primary deliverables will be prototypes and other design assets.
- Help develop team design assets and best practices.
- Serve as an ambassador of design among both policy researchers and developers.
We believe the following qualifications will allow someone to succeed in this role.
- UX / UI / Data Visualization Designer: around 2 years of relevant professional experience designing web applications and/or interactive data visualizations
- Senior UX / UI / Data Visualization Designer: around 4 years of professional experience designing web applications and/or interactive data visualizations; the senior role also carries with it a higher level of responsibility and a need for excelling at independent work
- Ability to create prototypes of varying fidelity in Figma or similar prototyping tool
- Demonstrated ability to design intuitive and logical site navigation and to systematically deploy layout, typography, color, and other UI design choices to effectively communicate meaning to the user
- Experience with responsive design and designing accessible products
- Ability to craft precise language to contextualize data displays and interactions
- In-depth knowledge of data visualization principles along with strong data literacy
- Understanding of web technologies, including HTML and CSS
- Ability to articulate design reasoning to other designers, experts in policy or quantitative methods, and developers, and to engage with others’ areas of expertise
- Ability to proactively seek out information needed for your work, communicate needs, and problem-solve with others to move work forward
- A strong interest in using design to transform data into intelligible information with impact in the public realm.
Other skills and experience that we welcome in a candidate:
- Strong knowledge of HTML, CSS, accessible web development, and understanding of how design decisions affect development complexity
- Ability to prototype data visualizations in Observable notebooks
- A formal design education
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of:
- UX / UI / Data Visualization Designer: $80,000 - $100,000
- This position may be eligible for an annual bonus, based on company and individual performance
- Senior UX / UI / Data Visualization Designer: $100,000 - $135k
- This position is eligible for an annual bonus, based on company and individual performance
We are not working with staffing agencies to fill this position, and we are not accepting resumes from agencies. Any agency contacting technical staff members will be routed to Talent Acquisition.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Available Locations: Remote; Washington, DC; Woodlawn, MD; Princeton, NJ; Ann Arbor, MI; Cambridge, MA; Chicago, IL; Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.