Job DescriptionApply Now
Senior International Researcher, AgricultureJob ID 1326-3
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to address complex social challenges and improve well-being around the world. We create and use evidence to help our public and private sector partners improve programs, refine strategies, and advance knowledge. Over the past two decades, Mathematica has developed a large portfolio of international development work that spans more than 50 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Europe. Our work provides actionable learning to guide decision-making and improve outcomes in a range of policy areas, including agriculture, health, energy, education, and workforce development.
Mathematica’s International Research Unit seeks a versatile, client-oriented Senior Researcher to lead agricultural evaluations and research projects for a variety of clients. The Senior Researcher will lead teams of Mathematica staff, international consultants, and in-country partners to generate and distill evidence to guide our clients’ strategy and program improvement efforts. The ideal candidate will have experience leading complex agricultural evaluations in developing countries using rigorous evaluation methods; substantial content knowledge and experience in the agriculture and food security sector; and a high level of comfort engaging with clients, partners, and government stakeholders. Individuals who excel in this position have a passion for using data and evidence to drive social change, a talent for conceptual and strategic thinking, and an ability to produce high-quality work in a context of compressed timelines and changing circumstances.
- Leading the design and execution of agricultural evaluations and research
- Serving as a trusted advisor and learning partner to clients
- Contributing to efforts to deepen and expand staff expertise and know-how in the international agriculture sector
- Supporting dissemination of Mathematica’s research and work through articles in peer-reviewed journals, gray literature publications, conference papers, blog posts, social media, and other dissemination channels
- Participating in key conferences and other forums, as well as expert groups and advisory committees, to engage with key players in the international agriculture sector, keep abreast of critical trends, and share Mathematica’s work where it is most useful
- Supporting the growth of Mathematica’s agriculture and food security practice
Knowledge and skills:
- Deep experience and demonstrated expertise in the agriculture sector
- Proven capability to successfully lead agricultural research and evaluations and manage multi-disciplinary teams to perform that work
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative analytical skills and a strong understanding of mixed methods research
- Stellar written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to (1) convey complex technical issues to non-expert audiences and (2) present and share research results in a way that resonates with clients, practitioners, and policymakers
- Demonstrated leadership, strategic thinking, relationship-building, and management skills
Education and experience:
- At least 8 years of experience conducting agricultural research and evaluation in international settings for foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies, and/or other organizations
- Established research record, such as contributions to peer-reviewed journals and gray literature publications and presentations at conferences and other expert forums
- PhD or Master’s degree in agricultural economics, international development, economics, or a related discipline
- Experience in South Asia and/or Sub-Saharan Africa is preferred
Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Read more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance.
We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. We encourage staff to collaborate in developing creative solutions to difficult problems and to share the responsibility and enjoyment of carrying out complex projects. This collegial spirit has helped us earn our reputation for innovative and high-quality work. As a winner of the "Excellence in Diversity Award," we know that building an inclusive culture based on the diverse strengths of employees from different backgrounds is key to our success.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Available locations: Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Cambridge, MA; Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor, MI; Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.