Job DescriptionApply Now
Executive Director, Survey Research/Data CollectionJob ID 1664-3
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions and promote equity and social justice in wide-ranging policy areas, from education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, health, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Read more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance.
Mathematica seeks an Executive Director of Survey Operations. The Executive Director of Survey Operations will lead Mathematica’s cross-divisional efforts in this core component of its business. The Executive Director of Surveys will lead the Survey Leadership Team that works collaboratively across Mathematica’s health and human services units to implement methodological and technical improvements in its survey offering. The Executive Director contributes to the leadership of data acquisition and data management and the development and execution of Mathematica’s survey strategy to ensure that the company continually evolves its data collection to offer high-quality, innovative, and cost-effective solutions that meet its clients’ need.
Mathematica is seeking a leader with experience in surveys that range from in-person, fieldwork-intensive interviews to telephone, web, and other mobile devices. As leading-edge technology is a critical element of Mathematica’s survey expertise, the leader must also understand, and continue to evolve, the company’s emerging survey technology capabilities. The leader must also drive continuous improvement in executing Mathematica’s portfolio of survey projects.
Additional attributes that are of key importance to Mathematica include:
- Contribute to execution of strategic plans for the survey offering
- Engage with clients to understand client needs and client perspectives on survey-related performance
- Lead change initiatives and drive adoption of changes that improve the organization’s ability to meet existing and emerging client needs
- Identify and support investments in technology and other resources
- Build a high-performance culture. Collaborate in the management of survey research staff, including leading training and professional development initiatives and actively participating in recruitment and the allocation of staff resources
- Oversee Survey Operations Center and collaborate in the management of survey technology solutions staff
- Collaborate in the leadership of data acquisition and data management strategies
- Participate in business development and proposals. Direct and advise projects
- Maintain a professional reputation as an expert in survey research and operations. Participate in professional activities and facilitate the professional activities and reputation of survey experts
- Visionary leader who is strategic and passionate about delivering the best solutions to clients
- Strong leadership and management skills with demonstrated ability to lead change across organizational units and to manage with a collaborative, team-building approach
- Powerful communicator who effectively engages and inspires clients and colleagues
- Ability to create an inclusive and collaborative culture that integrates diverse views
- Strong foundation in survey methods and operations
- Ability to contribute to leadership of data acquisition beyond survey
- A Masters or Doctorate degree in survey methodology, statistics, social science, or relevant discipline or a combination of equivalent education and work experience
- Minimum of fifteen years of experience in survey research with demonstrated experience designing and leading major survey efforts and overseeing survey operations; familiarity with operationally complex survey projects
We take pride in our employees and in their commitment to excellence. We encourage staff to collaborate in developing creative solutions to difficult problems and to share the responsibility and enjoyment of carrying out complex projects. This collegial spirit has helped us earn our reputation for innovative and high-quality work. As a winner of the "Excellence in Diversity Award," we know that building an inclusive culture based on the diverse strengths of employees from different backgrounds is key to our success.
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of $155,000 - $200,000. This position is eligible for a discretionary bonus based on company and individual performance.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
We offer remote flexibility. Available locations: Princeton, NJ; Washington, DC; Cambridge, MA; Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor; MI, Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.