Job DescriptionApply Now
Senior Vice President and Managing Director, International ResearchJob ID 1639-6
Mathematica applies expertise at the intersection of data, methods, policy, and practice to improve well-being around the world. We collaborate closely with public- and private-sector partners to translate big questions into deep insights that improve programs, refine strategies, and enhance understanding using data science and analytics. Our work yields actionable information to guide decisions in wide-ranging policy areas, from health, education, early childhood, and family support to nutrition, employment, disability, and international development. Mathematica offers our employees competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as the advantages of being 100 percent employee owned. As an employee stock owner, you will experience financial benefits of ESOP holdings that have increased in tandem with the company’s growth and financial strength. You will also be part of an independent, employee-owned firm that is able to define and further our mission, enhance our quality and accountability, and steadily grow our financial strength. Read more about our benefits here: https://www.mathematica.org/career-opportunities/benefits-at-a-glance
We are seeking a passionate, visionary, and growth oriented leader to be a Senior Vice President and Managing Director of Mathematica’s International Unit. The successful candidate will be an established researcher and recognized thought leader with an entrepreneurial spirit and a strong track record of organizational leadership in the developing world. The SVP & Managing Director will lead Mathematica’s international work as we continue to grow and expand the services we provide across the globe. In collaboration with the leadership team, the Managing Director will refine and implement a strategic plan to cover the unit’s growth and diversification. Beyond the strategic plan, the Managing Director will be responsible for all aspects of the International Unit performance and will:
- Develop and build on the existing strategy to fuel long-term growth. You will partner with the CEO and leadership team to finalize a business plan that focuses on growth, diversification, and sustainability.
- Lead and grow the team. You will attract, develop, and retain an expanded team who believe in and commit to Mathematica’s mission and global vision. Leading by example, you will promote our culture, build engagement, and spark excitement that leads to productivity and growth.
- Lead the unit to new levels of achievement and growth by identifying and engaging an even more robust and broader set of stakeholders and policies in areas such as agriculture, education, health, energy, and climate change.
- Set short- and long-term goals. You will realign as situations change and new opportunities arise and will be prepared to make difficult decisions.
- Guide the International team in solving problems and working to operate efficiently. Listen to staff and client needs. Gather the feedback you need to make smart decisions.
- Oversee and work with the EDI Global senior management team to continue their progress in cementing an East Africa presence, expanding their offerings, integrating with Mathematica, and promoting inclusive, consistent approaches.
- Monitor and report on progress. Ensure that key stakeholders have an accurate pulse on project performance, business development, and unit operations and goals.
- Engage with the Board of Directors in shaping the strategic direction of the International Unit.
- Develop and lead change initiatives and drive adoption of changes that improve our ability to meet existing and emerging client needs.
- Ensure effective stewardship of Mathematica’s financial resources; address new sources of funding and support from new and existing clients.
- Ensure the International Business Unit is on a fast-track growth trajectory through business development and client engagement activities.
- Provide thought leadership. You will provide strategic and decisive leadership to position Mathematica as a leader in providing integrated data collection, research, and analytics capabilities to improve public well-being internationally and will serve as the unit’s primary spokesperson before audiences globally.
- 20 or more years of leadership experience in a global organization, including people management and the ability to provide strategic collaborative leadership to diverse teams in different cultures. Experience in a research organization preferred.
- Recognized, credible expert in at least one of our international sectors.
- Successful leadership of business development and proposals is required; experience engaging with clients and partners in the business development process is preferred.
- A master’s or doctorate degree in social science or relevant discipline or a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
- A skilled and sophisticated networker and persuasive communicator, comfortable with making connections and building relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
- Outstanding communications skills including public speaking and writing for both traditional and social media.
- Strong client management skills.
- Demonstrative qualities as a leader: passionate, visionary, strategic, innovative, collaborative, empathetic, and inspiring.
- Track record of modeling and supporting core cultural values, commitment to diversity and inclusion, and client-centered approaches.
- Commitment to:
- building a culture of high performance that supports feedback and accountability
- innovation, continuous quality improvement, and leading change
- Willing and able to travel both domestically and internationally as needed.
Various federal agencies with whom we contract require that staff successfully undergo a background investigation or security clearance as a condition of working on the project. If you are assigned to such a project, you will be required to obtain the requisite security clearance.
Available locations: Washington, DC; Princeton, NJ; Cambridge, MA; Woodlawn, MD; Chicago, IL; Ann Arbor, MI; Oakland, CA; Seattle, WA; Remote
We also welcome applications from candidates who wish to work remotely/virtually full-time.
In accordance with Executive Order 14042 and its implementing guidelines, all Mathematica employees must provide documentation that they have been fully vaccinated or obtain an accommodation through Human Resources by providing documentation from a licensed health care provider that they are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 because of a disability (which would include medical conditions) or provide an attestation that they are entitled to an accommodation because of a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.